“My favorite poem is the one that starts ‘Thirty days hath September’ because it actually tells you something.” – Groucho Marx
Of September’s 30 days, Monday the fourth—Labor Day—is something to look forward to—the last holiday for a while, and it was meant to be relaxing! You can read all about that in the new September newsletter, which also has details on our September special offer: get 15 percent off whole house carpet cleaning or 10 percent off main living spaces, plus 33 percent off Carpet Protection. Check out the September edition of Jensen’s Healthy Home News for Joel’s thoughts on how to deal with muddy paw prints, some ideas on how to change your mood with food and how to know you’ve chosen the right carpet cleaner. The downloadable issue of Jensen’s Healthy Home News includes the Mega Trivia Question. This month the first six people who call with the correct answer will win a $15 gift certificate to Hilly Haven Golf Course & Restaurant. Here are some newsletter highlights:
Labor Day – Monday, September 4
If you’ve decided to have a relaxing and restful day on Sept. 4, you’ve got the right idea. That’s what the original promoters had in mind back in 1884. The Knights of Labor held a big parade in New York City on the first Monday in September and passed a resolution to hold future parades, always on the first Monday in September.
Their plan was one that people liked. It spread and was celebrated in many areas and in many states for the next 10 years. In 1894, Congress passed a law recognizing Labor Day as an official national holiday. (It is celebrated in Canada on the same day.)
Samuel Gompers, head of the American Federation of Labor, called it “the day for which the toilers in past centuries looked forward, when their rights and their wrongs would be discussed … that the workers of our day may not only lay down their tools of labor for a holiday, but upon which they may touch shoulders and feel the stronger for it.”
The Knights of Labor didn’t know their holiday would be famous for another reason. It has become the unofficial end of summer with vacations ending, swimming pools closing, and school beginning.
It’s one of the most popular days of the year for picnics and swimming parties. So if you don’t really want a day of rest, why not make it a day of fun?
Are all carpet cleaners alike? Can you compare us like apples to apples?
We’re going to ask you a surprising and pointed question, “With all the carpet cleaners in this town, are you sure you have chosen the right one?” Especially in light of the “new economy,” you may be tempted by “the other guy” and his rock bottom, cheap prices. Over the past year we’ve had more than a couple clients call us and confess they decided to save a buck and called the other (cheap) guys. So why do they call us to confess? Because now they need us to come to their home and clean up (literally) after the “cheap” cleaning. That cheap cleaning wasn’t so cheap.
Were they just a bad apple?
Probably not. But, the reality is, to offer a cheap service one must do cheap work. A professional carpet cleaner cannot offer a high quality of work and service charging super low prices. (Like the ads you’ve seen offering $4 per room or $99 for a whole house.) And, choosing the wrong carpet cleaner can leave you with carpets that are gummy, over soaked, dirt magnets.
We’ve always preferred to set our prices at a fair, but quality price point and then deliver work and customer service that will make you…
So thrilled you’re a client for life!
Rest assured, by choosing Jensen’s Carpet Care, you’ve made the right choice. Because we’ve invested in the proper training and learned the “science” behind proper cleaning, your carpets will sparkle, and stay cleaner longer. Plus, you get our five-star service and 100 pecent money back guarantee!
Apples to coconuts
So you see, not all carpet cleaning companies are alike. We can be as different as an apple and a coconut. We hope you feel you’ve made the right choice because otherwise we’re not doing our job right! To make your choice even easier this month please check out our September specials!
How do you like these apples: click on the “MONTHLY SPECIAL” button for our September offer:
- 10% OFF main living spaces*
- 15% OFF whole house*
- 33% OFF Carpet Protection**
*Some restrictions may apply. Minimum charge always applies. Not valid with other offers. **Must be in combination with carpet cleaning.
Before we go… If you know anyone who has kids heading back to school please have them call us and we will give them a FREE room of carpet cleaning in your name! (Up to 200 sq. ft. of carpet. New clients only.)
P.S. We will send you a $10 gift certificate for your referral. So THANKS in advance!!
Change your mood – with food
Not only does what you eat impact your weight and health, studies show it can affect your mental and emotional states as well.
- Need a boost? Protein will perk you up. Norepinephrine and dopamine, found in protein-rich foods, increase concentration and alertness. Sources: Beans, lean poultry, red meat or cheese.
- Anxiety keeping you up? A small, carbohydrate-based snack may be just what you need to relax and ease into sleep. Serotonin has been shown to have a calming effect, and production can be boosted by eating carbohydrates. Sources: A small bowl of fiber-rich cereal with skim milk before bed can help give you a good night’s sleep.
- Nervous? Foods that stimulate the release of dopamine may produce pleasant feelings, translating to a more approachable persona. Sources: Bananas, milk and leafy greens.
- Depressed? Fish is more than just brain food. Recent studies have shown that the omega-3 acids found in fatty fish may help ease symptoms of depression by raising the levels of serotonin in the brain. Sources: Fatty fish such as salmon, herring, tuna or sardines.
- In a bad mood? Several studies have linked low levels of selenium with tendencies towards anxiety and irritability, so load up on this nutrient to shake your foul mood. Sources: Sunflower seeds, whole grain cereals and Brazil nuts.