Happy New Year from Jensen’s! In our first newsletter of 2022, find out more about the celebration of New Year, which was first celebrated in ancient Babylon about 4,000 years ago. Get a carpet cleaning tip from Joel Jensen (champagne spill on a new carpet!) and some tips on a healthy diet and lifestyle for the new year. As always, the new issue of Jensen’s Healthy Home News includes the Mega Trivia Question—the first six people who call with the correct answer will win a $15 gift certificate to Pizza Ranch. Click Jensen’s Healthy Home News to download the complete newsletter. Here are some highlights:
Tips for a healthier diet and lifestyle in 2022
- Don’t skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast gives you the munchies later on and slows down your metabolism.
- Don’t skip any meals or snacks. Try not to let more than five hours go by with out eating. Waiting too long can zap energy and can lead to overeating later. Eat a (healthy) snack between lunch and dinner, maybe right before leaving work, so you will be less likely to grab snack foods once you get home.
- Include a total of 30 minutes of activity every day. It doesn’t have to be all at once. If it takes 10 minutes to walk from the bus stop, get off at the next furthest stop so you get a few more minutes walking. And walk it briskly – you can lose some weight, improve your cardiovascular system, and sleep better.
- Drink fewer sodas and other sweetened drinks, like iced tea. A big bottle of a juice-based drink can contain 300 calories and those calories add up. Drink water instead. Or mix juice and water, so you’re not drinking something so heavily loaded with sugar.
- Aim to eat five servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Buy pre-cut fruits and vegetables so you can grab them when you’re hungry.
Keep frozen veggies in the fridge. They are easy, quick, and rich in nutrients. Take them to work for a quick lunch you can heat in the microwave. Season with black pepper, herbs, lemon juice, or a red wine-and-balsamic vinegar dressing.
- Bring snacks to work – such as pretzels, fruit, and yogurt – so you won’t find yourself at the vending machine every afternoon.
- When fixing a salad, sprinkle rolled oats or crunchy whole-grain cereal for added fiber, so you’ll feel full.
- Also, hand-select a variety of fruits instead of buying one large bag of the same fruit. Mixing up a few different types of apples, one pear, one banana will keep you from getting bored.
New Year’s resolutions
Will you be making a commitment or two for the New Year? What changes are you making? If so, they likely fit into this list of popular resolutions.
- Improve health: Lose weight, exercise more, eat better, drink less alcohol and/or quit smoking.
- Improve finances: Get out of debt, save money and/or get a better job.
- Improve education: Improve grades, get a better education and/or learn something new (language/musical instrument).
- Improve self: Become more organized, reduce stress, be less grumpy, manage time better and/or be more independent.
Recent research shows that while 52 percent of the participants in a resolution study were confident that they would succeed with their goals, only 12 percent actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22 percent more often when they engaged in goal setting (a system where small measurable goals are being set, such as “a pound a week” instead of saying “lose weight”), while women succeeded 10 percent more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.
Take the stairs! One healthy New Year’s resolution you can make is to take the stairs more often. Stair climbing is a weight-bearing exercise that builds bone mass and helps prevent the onset of osteoporosis.
Key: Like muscle, bone just gets denser and stronger as a result of being put to work.
The bone-building exercises include jogging, walking, dancing and racquet sports. Resistance training with weights and machines is excellent because it builds both bone and muscle mass.
Contrast: Biking and swimming aren’t good bone-building exercises, though they have many other health benefits.
Time is marching on…don’t let your carpets be trampled by neglect!
Hello friends and clients! Can you believe it’s 2022 already? Wow! We’re sure we don’t have to tell you how fast “Father Time” is marching on by. It seems like just yesterday we were ringing in 2021, now it’s a thing of the past. Speaking of time marching on…
How long has it really been since you called us? Maybe it seems like we were just out at your house “yesterday” but think about it. Has it been three months? Six months? A year? Two years? Yikes!
Don’t let your carpets suffer from neglect just because time marches by so quickly. Think about all the “marching by” you and your family (and maybe the pets) have been doing since our last visit. All that foot traffic brings in carpet damaging dirt. Plus, there is the dander, pollens, molds, and dust mites that live in there too. Time to clean it all out and restore your carpets to their beautiful, fluffy glory.
Besides…January is one of the best months to clean your carpets!
Every year we have to try and turn around the “slow season” that inevitably comes right after the New Year begins. But that’s what makes January the best time to clean! Because we’re trying so hard to keep our guys busy, you get our deepest discounts of the year! Plus, you have your “choice” of the schedule. Don’t worry; your carpets will dry just as quickly in the winter because we use high powered fans to speed the drying process. And we’ll make a special effort to keep the cold air out of your home while we clean.
Plus, think about how much time you spend inside in the winter – shouldn’t you be lounging around on clean carpets? Shouldn’t you be breathing clean indoor air?
Don’t let another minute pass by without taking care of one of your home’s most valuable investments, or before you know it more time will fly by and your carpets will be in sorry shape. Pick up that phone right now and call Jensen’s Carpet Care & Restoration at 920-393-4062 – you’ll get our deepest discount of the year. (Find the “click for MONTHLY SPECIAL” button on the home page for details.)