Carpet Maintenance Tips
Get $10 Off with Our Customer Referral Program (Click for Details)
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY CALL (920) 393-4062
Basic Carpet Maintenance Tips
Choosing the right vacuum is essential to preserving and extending the life of your carpet. Not all vacuum cleaners are made equal. When investing in a new machine, look for the following:
- Superior filtration / dust control
- Accurate / multiple brush height adjustments for your type of carpet
- A beater bar or rotating brush to loosen dirt and grit*
- *Vacuum brushes can damage some thick loop pile carpets. Always follow the carpet manufacturer’s recommendations.
- TIP: Sprinkling salt an hour before vacuuming brightens carpet.
- TIP: Hold a steam wand over flattened carpet to pull the fiber up. Don’t touch the wand directly on the carpet.
- TIP: Set an ice cube in indentations left by furniture. The water left by the melting cube will make the carpet fibers rise again.
- TIP: Carpet runners and mats will help to keep dirt and soil from being tracked inside. Pads under desk chairs can prevent carpet damage and ground- in soil.
Most manufacturers recommend their carpets be deep cleaned with hot water extraction (steam cleaning) every 12 to 24 months. Steam cleaning involves spraying a high-pressure solution of water and detergent and vacuuming the dirty solution. Always refer to the manufacturer’s warranty for the recommended deep cleaning method.
How to Choose a Professional Carpet Cleaning Company
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family
- Ask how long they have been in business and contact references
- Check for the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICR)
- Make sure the cleaner screens / does background checks on their technicians
- Make sure the cleaner is insured for liability and carry workers’ compensation insurance
- Beware of unrealistic claims (particularly in advertisements and coupons)
- Check for written estimates, guarantees and conditions